Race organizer AEG has confirmed participants for the third annual Amgen Tour of California Women’s Time Trial Race, presented by SRAM, which will begin in San Jose at 12:45 p.m. Friday, May 17. This year’s invitation-only event will showcase 15 riders, including several event veterans, from the ranks of Olympians, world champions, national champions, and champions of other prestigious cycling events.
The women’s race is an ancillary event of the 2013 Amgen Tour of California 8-day cycling stage race, and will take place prior to the men’s Stage 6 individual time trial, using the same course the men will ride later that day. The race against the clock will be headlined by riders from top women’s teams, including Specialized-lululemon, TIBCO, Exergy Twenty16, NOW and Novartis for MS, Optum Pro Cycling presented by Kelly Benefit Strategies, and Vanderkitten, as well as several individual racers.
“As the largest stage race in the country, the Amgen Tour of California provides a unique opportunity to highlight the many facets of cycling,” said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. “We are honored to host another worldwide showcase for the best women in the sport today, and to provide even more depth and thrills for the millions of fans who will tune in that week.”
The full Amgen Tour of California Women’s Time Trial Race roster includes:
- Exergy Twenty16: Alison Tetrick (USA), Mara Abbott (USA) and Kristin McGrath (USA)
- NOW and Novartis for MS: Alison Powers (USA) and Robin Farina (USA)
- Optum Pro Cycling presented by Kelly Benefit Strategies: Jade Wilcoxson (USA) and Brianna Walle (USA)
- Specialized-lululemon: Evelyn Stevens (USA) and Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (GER)
- TIBCO: Jasmin Glaesser (CAN) and Meredith Miller (USA)
- Vanderkitten: Rhae Shaw (CAN)
- Katie Compton (USA)
- Amber Neben (USA)
- Julie Dibens (GBR)
Photo © Christy Nicholson / EchelonDesignPhoto.com