The 2013 Amgen Tour of California will kick off race week with the first official press event – the annual pre-race press conference featuring race officials, sponsors and athletes who will participate in the professional road cycling race, now in its eighth year.
Since the inaugural race in 2006, the Amgen Tour of California has consistently drawn the world’s best cycling talent while growing to become one of the most important races on the international calendar. The 2013 Amgen Tour of California will begin in Escondido on Sunday, May 12, and travel nearly 750 miles – south to north for the first time – on some of California’s most iconic highways, roadways and coastlines before the conclusion in Santa Rosa Sunday, May 19.
Expected Amgen Tour of California officials, sponsors and cyclists will include:
· Lawson Craddock, Bontrager Cycling Team (rising young U.S. rider)
· Timmy Duggan, Team Saxo-Tinkoff (national champion)
· Tyler Farrar, Team Garmin-Sharp (has won a stage at every Grand Tour)
· Philippe Gilbert, BMC Racing Team (reigning world road champion)
· Peter Sagan, Cannondale Pro Cycling (recordholder, most ATOC stage wins)
· Tejay van Garderen, BMC Racing Team (2011 ATOC best young rider)
· Jens Voigt, RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK (2nd, 2007 ATOC)
· Amber Neben (competing in Amgen Tour of California Women’s Time Trial)
· Phil Liggett, NBC Sports commentator
· Kristin Bachochin, executive director, Amgen Tour of California and senior vice president of AEG Sports
· Jim Birrell, race director, Amgen Tour of California
Photo © Christy Nicholson / EchelonDesignPhoto.com