Cyclo-cross returned to Whittier Narrows Recreation Area for Cyclo-cross Los Angeles Weekend this past weekend. CXLA is the only cyclo-cross event in California that is sanctioned by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI), and included amateur categories that were part of the SoCalCross Prestige Series.
WORLD CLASS UCI sanctioned elite men and women, Junior 17-18 and U23 Men, Women Junior 17-18, U23 compete with elite women competed under the following categories and thanks to the following Presenting Sponsors:
- UCI Junior Men 17-18 presented by RideCX.com
- UCI U23 Men presented by Union Sport
- UCI Elite Women presented by Knobbe Martens IP Law
- UCI Elite Men presented by TRP Cycling
Also USAC sanctioned races for amateur categories were part of the SoCalCross Prestige Series.
Kateřina Nash (Clif Pro Team) and Tobin Ortenblad (Santa Cruz Factory Racing) took double wins at CXLA Weekend in close races both days make for exciting races.
Photos by Phil Beckman / PBCreativePhoto.com
CXLA Weekend Highlights:
- Day 2 brought the once every 5 years to CXLA RAIN just in time for the UCI races.
- CXLA Weekend Champs back to back Katerina Nash and Tobin Ortinblad.
- Tobin with his first ever UCI Elite Men’s victory making it two wins at CXLA weekend.
- Lots of muddy faces crossed the line not common in this region.
- Same result both days for the elite women and finish order and the course mostly flat contour allowed for close finish for the top 5 women. Katerina Nash took the win, with Amanda Miller and Courtenay McFadden riding strong.
- For the men, Day 2 split into 2 main packs for the top 10 riders then down to 4 for the final laps. Defending CXLA champion Jamey Driscoll attacked on the final laps trying to free himself but Tobin Ortinblad stayed cool and collected on the chase for Driscoll and took his place at the front to take the win on the final lap.
Visit SoCalCycling.com’s Event Calendars for upcoming Road Racing Events, Mountain Bike, Cyclo-Cross & Gravel Events, Fun Rides, Gran Fondos & Tours and Pro Road Tour (PRT) Events throughout the year to find great cycling events to participate in or spectate.