The leader jersey lineup for the upcoming 2013 Amgen Tour of California professional road cycling race has been unveiled by race operator AEG.
A long-standing tradition in professional cycling, special race jerseys will be awarded daily to overall race leaders in several categories. New to the race this year, each award jersey from Champion System, the official jersey partner of the 2013 Amgen Tour of California, will carry the last name of the cyclist wearing it during competition – believed to be a first for any professional cycling race.
Earlier this month, Martinez, Calif. resident Matt Orendorff won AEG’s design contest for the 2013 Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey, chosen from a pool of submissions and determined by a panel of judges. Orendorff’s winning design, which will be featured in the race, prominently features the Breakaway from Cancer logo and a clean, sharp race-inspired design. His prize package includes a trip for him and one guest to one stage of the 2013 Amgen Tour of California, including round trip airfare, hotel accommodations, VIP Hospitality passes, a race merchandise package, and the opportunity to meet the Most Courageous Rider winner of the stage following the awards ceremony.
“Leader jerseys are one of the great traditions of cycling,” said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. “In the past seven editions of the Amgen Tour of California, we’ve seen some epic performances from the cyclists who have been awarded these top honors. I look forward to seeing how this year’s competition unfolds.”
“We wanted to create something for the Amgen Tour of California that brought our philosophy of customer unique branding to these leader jerseys. Each leader of each category will be wearing their personal branded jersey with their name on it, sporting a unique piece of this year’s race history,” said Scott Kaylin, president of Champion System.
The 2013 Amgen Tour of California, which will cover nearly 750 miles of scenic California roadways, highways and coastlines from May 12 – 19, will feature the world’s elite cyclists vying for these six leader jerseys:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey: The coveted yellow jersey is awarded daily to the rider with the lowest cumulative time over the entire race. The rider wearing this jersey often changes from stage to stage as each day’s results are added into the equation. It is possible for a rider to win the Amgen Race Leader Jersey without winning a daily stage since the jersey takes into account overall times.
- Amgen Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey: This special and traditional jersey will be awarded daily to the cyclist who best exemplifies the character of those engaged in the fight against cancer – courage, sacrifice, inspiration, determination, and perseverance.
- Nissan King of the Mountain (KOM) Jersey: The 2013 race is characterized by a great deal of climbing, and this jersey goes to the peloton’s strongest climber. A cyclist earns this jersey by collecting points at designated King of the Mountain (KOM) locations located at the tops of mountains and hills. Only the first three cyclists to reach the top on rated climbs receive points towards this award.
- Visit California Sprint Jersey: The Sprint Jersey is awarded to the rider that accumulates the most bonus points, which are given based on Sprint Line performances as well as finishing the stage in the top-15 places. Cyclists who specialize in bursts of power and speed, or consistently finish near the top of each stage, will have the best chance to wear the respected green jersey.
- Crunchies Best Young Rider Jersey: Crunchies, “Nature’s Ultimate Snack Food,” is a first-time sponsor of this sought-after Best Young Rider jersey. It will be awarded on the podium daily to the rider under age 24 with the least amount of elapsed time over the entire race to that point. This jersey is an easy way to spot rising cycling stars.
For fans who covet race-day looks, official Amgen Tour of California leader jerseys and a limited edition race jersey are available exclusively at www.amgentourofcaliforniastore.com.