When the 2013 Amgen Tour of California begins Sunday, May 12, cycling fans in more than 200 countries and territories will once again have the opportunity to tune in to the action and excitement on NBC and NBC Sports Network as well as via the race’s exclusive international network of broadcast partners. Kicking off their coverage on Sunday, May 5, NBC Sports Network airs an exclusive race preview show. Beginning Sunday, May 12, NBC Sports Network launches its live HD coverage of the race and continues with exclusive coverage of daily highlights every evening during the eight-day competition. Live coverage of the final day of racing airs on NBC with the final stage of the 2013 Amgen Tour of California Sunday, May 19 at 1-3 p.m. ET.
Viewers tuning into America’s most prestigious road cycling race, the 2013 Amgen Tour of California, will see 128 of the best cyclists in the world battle it out across nearly 750 miles of picturesque California highways, roadways and coastlines.
“We are pleased that NBC Sports Group will be retuning as our broadcast partner this year,” said Kristin Bachochin, executive director of the race and senior vice president of AEG Sports. “One of our primary goals is to bring new fans to the sport of cycling, and the exposure and promotion that NBC and NBC Sports Network deliver means that viewers across the country can tune into one of the most exciting stage races of the season, whether to discover the sport or to cheer on their favorite teams and cyclists. NBC’s coverage last year showed American sports fans the excitement, beauty and drama of cycling in a compelling way never before seen. The real winners were fans of cycling and fans of the Amgen Tour of California.”
The television schedule for the 2013 Amgen Tour of California on NBC Sports Network (and the final day live on NBC) follows:
- Sunday, May 5 at 5:30 p.m. EDT/2:30 p.m. PDT on NBC Sports Network:
- Preview show
- Sunday, May 12 at 5 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. PDT live on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 1, Presented by Nissan – Escondido
- Monday, May 13 at 5 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. PDT live on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 2, Presented by Visit California – Murrieta to Greater Palm Springs
- Tuesday, May 14 at 5 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. PDT live on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 3, Presented by Crunchies Food Company – Palmdale to Santa Clarita
- Wednesday, May 15 at 5 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. PDT live on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 4, Presented by Amgen’s Breakaway from Cancer® – Santa Clarita to Santa Barbara
- Thursday, May 16 at 5 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. PDT live on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 5, Presented by Visit California – Santa Barbara to Avila Beach
- Friday, May 17 at 5 p.m. EDT/2 p.m. PDT live on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 6 – San Jose Time Trial – men’s and women’s divisions
- Saturday, May 18 at 7 p.m. EDT/4 p.m. PDT on NBC Sports Network:
- Stage 7, Presented by Nissan – Livermore to Mt. Diablo
- Sunday, May 19 at 1 p.m. EDT/10 a.m. PDT live on NBC:
- Stage 8, Presented by Amgen – San Francisco to Santa Rosa
In addition to the live broadcasts on NBC and NBC Sports Network, cycling fans will have real-time updates at their fingertips via the official Tour Tracker platform available at amgentourofcalifornia.com. For the seventh year running, the Tour Tracker will deliver race coverage across web, mobile and tablet viewing platforms including live video, audio and real-time data streams with proven technology that has been enjoyed by more than 1 million viewers.
The premier app for up-to-the-minute, comprehensive information on the largest cycling competition in America can be downloaded free of charge for iPhone, iPad and Android devices via iTunes, Google Play and the Apple and Android app stores. Through this technology, race enthusiasts will be able to watch the eight-day competition unfold live and also receive access to exclusive merchandise offers through a special barcode in the app.
This year’s enhanced Tour Tracker will offer cycling fans the following ways to stay up to speed on the 2013 Amgen Tour of California:
- Live coverage of the final two hours of the race each day – new this year, an audio-only option
- Full start-to-finish coverage via GPS, race situation and up-to-the-minute text commentary throughout the race
- Video on demand clips of the race and stage recaps after each day’s finish
- Web DVR features such as stop and rewind on live coverage
- Photo gallery with images from the race
- Maps and profiles with live location of the peloton, breaks and chase groups
- Current race situational information, including overalls standings, time gaps and what cyclists are in breaks and chases
- Time Trial start list and split times
- Enhanced rider information
- Stage overviews and information including maps, profile, distance, elevation, etc.
The Amgen Tour of California continues to draw global attention as one of the most anticipated cycling events of the year – one that attracts Olympic medalists, World Champions and the top Tour de France competitors. For further information about the 2013 Amgen Tour of California, including specific broadcast times and Tour Tracker information, visit amgentourofcalifornia.com.