ASSOS EXTENDS MULTI-YEAR DESIGNATION AS OFFICIAL
RACE JERSEY PARTNER AND EXCLUSIVE TECH APPAREL PROVIDER
Amgen Tour of California organizer and operator AEG announced the technically-innovative cycling apparel brand ASSOS of Switzerland has renewed a multi-year partnership to provide official race jerseys, VIP and staff apparel, and licensed merchandise for America’s premier cycling stage race.
Newly designed 2019 leader jerseys, as well as 2019 Limited Edition and Extra Limited Edition commemorative race jerseys, are now available for preorder at www.amgentourofcaliforniastore.com. Some of today’s best known and most decorated international cyclists have been awarded coveted leader jerseys on the roads of California, a time-honored tradition in cycling that signifies the best performers in various categories.
The annual Amgen Tour of California is the only U.S. cycling stage race on the UCI WorldTour calendar (men’s and women’s). The 14th edition will traverse 750 miles of roadways, highways and coastlines from Sacramento to Pasadena from May 12-18, 2019. The Amgen Tour of California Women’s Race empowered with SRAM, showcasing the world’s best women cyclists, will run concurrently covering upward of 180 miles from May 16-18. In addition to the e-store, a selection of jerseys, race apparel and merchandise will be available during the race at the Amgen Tour of California Lifestyle Festival near the finish line each day.
“Heading into year three of our Amgen Tour of California sponsorship, we are excited to build upon our momentum and continue to support such a great event,” said Chris MacKay, Global Brand and Digital Marketing Director for ASSOS. “It’s an honor to have ASSOS worn by the daily leaders and the race staff, and we look forward to being on the ground for another year.”
The Amgen Tour of California leader jerseys each represent a specific skill or achievement and are presented to leading riders on-stage at the conclusion of each day’s women’s and men’s events during a special awards ceremony near the stage finish line:
• Amgen Race Leader Jersey: The prized “yellow jersey” will go to the rider with the lowest cumulative time over the entire race (each day) at the end of each stage. Traditionally yellow, this jersey often changes hands from stage to stage as each day’s results are added into the equation. It is possible for a rider to wear this highly contested jersey without winning a stage since it recognizes overall race times, not stage finish results.
• Breakaway from Cancer® / Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM Most Courageous Rider Jersey: This meaningful jersey will be awarded daily to the man/woman respectively who best exemplifies the character of those engaged in the fight against cancer/heart disease – courage, sacrifice, inspiration, determination and perseverance.
• Lexus King of the Mountain (KOM)/Queen of the Mountain (QOM) Jersey: This jersey recognizes the peloton’s strongest climber each day – the rider who collects the most points at designated KOM/QOM locations on mountains and hills. Only the first three cyclists to reach the top on rated climbs receive points.
• Visit California Sprint Jersey: Cyclists who specialize in bursts of power and speed, or consistently finish near the top of each stage, have the best chance to wear the respected ”green jersey.” Riders can accumulate points at designated Sprint Lines throughout the course, as well as for finishing the stage in the top ten. Visit California has been a jersey partner since the race’s inception in 2006.
• TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey: This coveted jersey will be awarded daily to the rider under age 25 with the least amount of elapsed time over the entire race to that point. Past winners of this jersey have gone on to become stars of the sport.
This year’s Amgen Tour of California will highlight the distinct beauty of Northern, Central and Southern California.