The 52 Annual Manhattan Beach Grand Prix was held under overcast conditions as racers covered the hot dog shaped course that includes a small power climb and two hairpin turns. This year it was a NCC race for both the Pro Men and Women’s categories, which offered a nice prize list and the incentive to race hard for a chance to win the cash.
In the Pro Men’s race a break of four including Jesse Anthony (Optum pb KBS), Blake Anton (Team Clif Bar), Brandon Gritters (Rokform / Rock N’Road) and Diego Sandoval (MRI) got off the front early in the race. The break worked well together and held off the chasing pack with Anthony taking the win, followed by Blake Anton (Team Clif Bar) in second, Brandon Gritters (Rokform / Rock N’Road) in third and Diego Sandoval (MRI) in fourth.
In the Pro Women’s race, it came down to a sprint to the line with Erica Allar (Care4Cycling pb SolomonCorp) out sprinting Samantha Schneider (Tibco) for second, followed by cagey veteran Laura Van Gilder (Mellow Mushroom Racing) in third.
A full Photo Gallery is posted and photos are available at EchelonDesignPhoto.com.
Photos © Christy Nicholson / EchelonDesignPhoto.com
Pro /1 Men
1. Jesse Anthony (Optum pb KBS)
2. Blake Anton (Team Clif Bar)
3. Brandon Gritters (Rokform / Rock N’Road)
1. Aaron Wimberly (Team Helens)
2. Logan Fiedler (Spy Giant RIDE)
3. Silver Lazzari
1. Erica Allar (Care4Cycling pb SolomonCorp)
2. Samantha Schneider (Tibco)
3. Laura Van Gilder (Mellow Mushroom Racing)
1. Angelica Frayre (Calimax pb Pista Palace)
2. Laura Mulwitz (Big Orange Cycling)
3. Vikki Appel (SBW)
1. Silver Lazzari
2. Charon Smith (Surf City Cyclery)
3. Ivan Dominguez (MRI Endurance Elite Masters)
1. Mike McMahon (Team Velocity)
2. John Slover ( Surf City Cyclery/ Sterling BMW)
3. Armin Rahm (Time/ Veloo Pasadena)
1. Chad Mosten (Michelob Ultra – La Grange +21)
2. Ryan Wei (OTR Racing)
3. Kenten Harris (Team Velocity)
1. Leo Reyes ( SC Velo)
2. Marco Fabrizio (Michelob Ultra – La Grange +21)
3. Jay LaPlante (Big Orange Cycling)