The event of year is nearly here. It’s the all-new L.A. Bikefest, jam-packed with excitement and entertainment for cycling enthusiasts of all kinds as well as anyone else who just wants to have a great time. The L.A. Bikefest will soon have the Fairplex in Pomona rocking for two days — October 20-21 — both inside and outside the stadium.
A sample of what’s in store includes:
- Sat, 10/20: SoCalCross – Spooky Cross Night Race presented by Jenson USA
- Sun, 10/21: SoCalCross – Krosstober-Fest presented by SPY and Square One
- Sat & Sun, 10/20-21: 2012 West Side Invite – National Hard Court Bike Polo
- Sat, 10/20: Tour de Foothills Training Ride up Glendora Mountain Road (shorter ride option)
- Sat & Sun, 10/20-21: Oktoberfest Celebration by Fairplex (Sat 6p-12a and Sun 12n-6p)
- Sat, 10/20: Halloween Costume Cross Race & Costume Contest benefiting the John Wayne Cancer Foundation
- Sat & Sun, 10/20-21: Freestyle Fixed-BMX Competition Track presented by Bumsteads
- Sat, 10/20: Steeple Cross Run (footrace on the cyclocross course) presented by Kool N Fit Sport
- Sat & Sun, 10/20-21: Pomona Valley Bicycle Swapmeet and Street Market
- Sat & Sun, 10/20-21: Food Truck Festival and Beer Garden
- Sat & Sun, 10/20-21: Concert in the Park
The West Side Invite is an annual hardcourt bike polo tournament steeped in tradition. Historically an event held in the Cascadian Pacific Northwest, this year Los Angeles has the honor of hosting. The West Side Invite began as a racing event held by the messenger community more than a decade ago; however bike polo has grown into its own standalone sporting event. This will be a traditional 3 v. 3 double elimination tournament held over two days. The champion team will be awarded the coveted West Side Invite championship belts.
The centerpiece of the L.A. Bikefest is world-class cyclocross racing. Spooky Cross is one of the most famous and popular bike races in the country. The sun goes down, the costumes go on, and a massive crowd goes wild. Saturday’s race will be live streaming on CyclingDirt.org! Then Sunday we celebrate Bavarian style with Krosstober-Fest, which is a scene in itself — Oompah-Euro-Rock ‘n’ Roll mixed into this Sunday celebration of the bicycle.
Making these races even more important and exciting is the fact they carry prestigious UCI international racing sanctions, which means all the local hotshots as well as Elite-level men and women athletes from around the country will be in attendance in search of valuable world cycling points.
For much more about the L.A. Bikefest visit LABikefest.org. Sorry, no pets allowed.
Fairplex is located in Pomona and is conveniently reached from all points in Southern California. Easily identifiable Fairplex signs are located throughout Pomona and neighboring communities to direct motorists. Directional signs are also prominent along nearby freeways. Address: 1101 W. McKinley Ave., Pomona, CA 91768. Enter Gate 17. Phone: (909) 623-3111. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report By Phil Beckman / PB Creative
Photo © Christy Nicholson / EchelonDesignPhoto.com