Danny MacAskill’s Postcard from San Francisco
Danny MacAskill continues to raise the bar, over a decade on from his viral sensation and breakout street riding film Inspired Bicycles, as the professional mountain biker and YouTube pioneer put his body on the line once again to create arguably his best riding edit to date.
Postcard from San Francisco Details
– Taking us back to where it all started in 2009 with a pure street-riding film, Danny MacAskill returns to his roots in Postcard from San Francisco. A long way from Danny’s hometown on the Isle of Skye off the coast of Scotland, this unique journey through a city steeped in action sports cult status features structures and obstacles unlike anywhere else in the world for the renowned trials legend to explore.
– Set against the backdrop of famous (and infamous) landmarks and architecture like The Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island and the streets of Chinatown, MacAskill reinterprets the iconic city in his most challenging project to date.
Watch Postcard from San Francisco
– On the location, MacAskill commented: “I chose San Francisco because it’s such an iconic backdrop for a film. No matter what street you’re on or which way you look, you know you’re in San Francisco – whether it’s the steep hills, the colorful terrace houses, or the amazing views of the two bridges and Alcatraz. I thought it would be a perfect place to make a cool-looking film.”
– The new film almost never happened after MacAskill suffered a broken kneecap five years ago during filming. After years of hard work and dedication to rehabilitation, Postcards from San Francisco sees him at the absolute pinnacle of his riding abilities. The film follows a ride across the city, from the skate spots that flood every legendary skate board film, to the steep street views we see in Hollywood pictures. MacAskill stops at nothing to perfect the impossible in this ride across the city.
Pushing the Limits
– The career-changing injury didn’t hold the Scottish street trials star back from pushing the limits of what he could achieve on two-wheels. He overcomes the odds and delivered an edit poised to sit alongside his collection of landmark viral hits that have generated hundreds of millions of views over the years.
– MacAskill pushes the limits on two wheels while recording some of his greatest ever feats on the bike. His breathtaking stunts look effortlessly smooth, despite the clock ticking for filming permissions at key locations.
– “Postcard from San Francisco is a true passion project of mine, it reflects pure hard riding that no practice prepares you for. Some of these stunts have taken over 300 tries to land perfectly, but I’m stronger than ever and will always thrive to push the boundaries of the sport to create progression.” says MacAskill.
– The film showcases a level of cinematic creativity and the audience is treated to the infamous landmarks and architecture interpreted by MacAskill and his team. The Scot channels his outstanding bike handling skills and performs complex, high-consequence tricks that really shouldn’t be possible.
Watch Postcard from San Francisco in full – View Episodes
Photo Credit – Dave Mackison / Red Bull Content Pool